Janitorial Projects

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Sun Dec 1 10:20:55 CST 2002

On November 29, 2002 03:06 pm, Francois Gouget wrote:
> Now we have a way to pretty easily compile them on Windows. Here's the
> procedure:
>
>  * get the Wine source
>  * run ./tools/winapi/msvcmaker --no-wine
>    (it's a perl script so you might even be able to do it on Windows)
>  * make those source accessible by a Windows machine (e.g. export them
> via Samba)
>  * load winetest.dsw in Visual C++
>  * hit that build button

This is too complicated. First, it requires Visual C++, which sucks.
We should be able to compile the tests with MinGW, as any OSS project
out there. So I would say the TODO for building the tests is as follows:
  * make sure we can compile them with MinGW
  * arrange such that we can generate _one_ executable for all tests
  * create script that builds them say, every few (3-5) days, tests
    if the executable changed (by comparing MD5 sums) from the last
    build, and if so, put it up for download on a site, and email
    the test volunteers a notification (containing the URL) that
    the tests have changed, and they should retest. The URL should
    be fixed (e.g. http://www.corp.com/wine/wine-tests.exe), so the
    tester can bookmark it, write scripts against it, etc.
  * enlist a volunteer to run said script on a regular basis.

As it stands, the tests have to do way too much work for this to have
a snowball's chance in hell of working long term. Don't forget that the
testers need to worry of a different box, etc. which is already enough
work. The rest can be automated, as I just described.

--
Dimi.