[RFC] Wine headers

Patrik Stridvall ps at leissner.se
Sun Dec 1 15:44:19 CST 2002

> On December 1, 2002 12:35 pm, Patrik Stridvall wrote:
> > That solves the libc problem however compiling with -flong-int also
> > means that it will be impossible to call other libraries, which
> > means that it will be a little hard to use Unix specific library
> > to have extra functionallity under Unix.
>
> But those apps will be aware of the issue, and can use explicit types,
> just like we're going to do in Wine. Sure, they will not be able to
> use the header files directly (actually, they might by having some
> compat files that are not compiled with said flag on), but I don't
> think it's a big deal anyway. It's workable,

A better solution would be to port the source code to the LP64 model.
It is entirely possible for to support all of LP32 (Win32 and "Unix32"),
LLP64 (Win64) and LP64 ("Unix64") in a sane way.

I don't think it is worth the effort to support LLP64 beyond having
a "-flong-int" flag to get a working version to show as a prototype
that porting is indeed possible.

> and Win64 will not
> bother us for some time...

True. Microsoft doesn't seems that eager pushing Win64 either...