Direct3D8 regression/bug

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmx.net
Wed Dec 4 11:42:14 CST 2002

Hi,

Just to see how well Wine's Direct3D8 support is working, I played with some
some simple d3d8 demos. (that are the tutorial examples Jason Edmeades used
when he started Wine's Direct3D8 implementation) A few weeks ago all those
demo's worked. Perhaps some things where not rendered correctly but they
worked.

A few days ago I rechecked those demo's but now all d3d8 apps I try crash.
Immedeately winedbg is launched. The app seems to crash in libGL.so.1.

Here's the error with a backtrace:

Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000008 in 32-bit code
(0x40bf4a06).
In 32-bit mode.
0x40bf4a06 (_end+0xf6a9a in libGL.so.1): movl   0x8(%eax),%eax
Wine-dbg>bt
Backtrace:
=>0 0x40bf4a06 (_end+0xf6a9a in libGL.so.1) (ebp=00000001)

Lionel suggested that his OpenGL patches may have caused this problem. He had
the same crashes on his pc. I reversed his patches but it still had problems.
(perhaps I made some misstakes somewhere ..)

Perhaps the problem is related to the OpenGL drivers. I'm using Nvidia's
OpenGL drivers (1.0-3123).

I hope this helps a bit,

Roderick Colenbrander