Fwd: Re: [putty]Winelib support + patch

David Laight david at l8s.co.uk
Tue Dec 3 18:19:05 CST 2002

> > http://chiharu.haun.org/peace/
>
> As far as I can tell, this is only a PE loader, so you need to
> cross-compile everything as PE dlls. What we would want for Wine is an
> ELF loader that can also load PE and seamlessly link binaries of both
> types together.

I've not read the URL above, but have looked at the netbsd ld.elf_so,
making it do something subtly different with other object formats
shouldn't be too hard - it of only boring (system) code.

You might want to make the wine binary use a non-standard
ELF interpreter, the name of the program used to do all the
library loading and symbol fixupnis a property of the program
being run, not of the system.

Do if you need a pe_open (cf dlopen) it shouldn't be too hard
to sort out.

Although the different OS will have different requirements on the
ELF interpreter, it is the ELF object format that requires it.

In particular the rules for looking up symbols are easily changed.

	David

David Laight: david at l8s.co.uk