Fwd: Re: [putty]Winelib support + patch

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Tue Dec 3 19:16:55 CST 2002

"Dimitrie O. Paun" <dpaun at rogers.com> writes:

> Yes, having a PE-aware ld.so would allow us to bypass our import
> mechanism. But I guess the question was: given that we don't have
> such a ld.so, can we handle import of variables through our current
> import mechanism?

I don't see how. The compiler will generate references into the ELF
GOT so you need to do the fixups there, which is basically what an ELF
loader does. What we do for functions is to make the ELF loader link
to our version of the function, and then jump to the real one; but of
course this cannot work with variables.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com