Intel 8x0 and ALSA sound driver

Nikolay Stefanov nstefanov at cs.man.ac.uk
Sun Dec 8 11:29:25 CST 2002

On Sunday 08 December 2002, Eric Pouech wrote:
> I assume you're using ALSA 0.9 (not 0.5) and that winamp uses the dsound
> interface

Correct, however the result is the same (doesn't work) with both waveout and
dsound interface, because of said hw limitations.

> I don't think this is the right think to do:
> - from hard coding the driver name, winealsa should enumerate all
> installed alsa drivers, and be prepared to open such a device

Just to clarify - the device name *was* hardcoded to "hw,0", the patch makes
it possible to specify it in the configuration file.

> - from the mmap configuration, this should be identified at run time,
> not by an obscure configuration option

Well, it is identified at run time by the current code, and the driver tries
to use it, but it doesn't work. So I added the option as a way to tell
winealsa not to use the mmap interface. Here is the error that I get if mmap
is enabled:

trace:wave:wodPlayer_WriteMaxFrags Writing wavehdr 0x4122c260.0[32768]
wine: pcm_plugin.c:491: snd_pcm_plugin_mmap_commit: Assertion `size == 0'
failed.

Those ALSA assertions are pretty annoying, no way to inspect the error or to
bail out :-(

Nikolay