Intel 8x0 and ALSA sound driver

Nikolay Stefanov nstefanov at cs.man.ac.uk
Sun Dec 8 13:32:26 CST 2002

On Sunday 08 December 2002 5:39 pm, Eric Pouech wrote:
> which I'm say is a bad idea. the Alsa driver should report all available
> drivers, and you should not be forced to define the one you want.
> To be more correct, the notion of "default device" exists under windows,
>   but has to be handled at the wave mapper level, not at the driver level.

Aha, got it. I doubt that I will be able to implement this, so I might just
file it as a bug report.

> that's why I say we have to remove those assertions and do proper error
> handling instead
> btw, if ALSA fails with an assert it's either:
> - a bug in the ALSA driver
> - a bug in the ALSA library
> => those should be fixed (as ALSA isn't 1.0 yet, there's no need to work
> around it in wine code)

I had a look at mplayer code and it is structured in a completely different
way than winealsa for the mmap case. I'm looking at wodPlayer_WriteMaxFrags,
btw. This leads me to believe that the way wine does it is off, and it's not
a driver issue... I'll try to tinker a bit with it and see whether I have any
success.

Nikolay