wpp

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Mon Dec 9 08:02:19 CST 2002

On December 9, 2002 07:19 am, Patrik Stridvall wrote:
> Note that I said LIBRARY. Still running cpp is presumably
> more lightweight that running "gcc -E".

Based on what?!? Let's see numbers (one dummy, empty file):
[dimi at dimi dev]$ cat dummy.c
[dimi at dimi dev]$ time gcc -E dummy.c
# 1 "dummy.c"
# 1 "<built-in>"
# 1 "<command line>"
# 1 "dummy.c"

real    0m0.010s
user    0m0.002s
sys     0m0.006s
[dimi at dimi dev]$ time cpp dummy.c
# 1 "dummy.c"
# 1 "<built-in>"
# 1 "<command line>"
# 1 "dummy.c"

real    0m0.017s
user    0m0.002s
sys     0m0.004s

That's pretty fast.

> I just remember abandoning the idea of using "gcc -E" for preprocessing
> in winapi_check because of horrible a speed slowdown.

This obviously is just plain wrong. Numbers clearly show this can't be the
case. Initializing gcc (and it's gcc 3.2 which is supposedly slower than
other gccs) takes 100ms, not that bad, it's certainly not "horrible".

--
Dimi.