MSI (MS Installer)

Shachar Shemesh fribid-discuss at sun.consumer.org.il
Mon Dec 9 16:53:40 CST 2002

Shachar Shemesh wrote:

> Zsolt Rizsanyi wrote:
>
>> It is not implemented. That's sure. (Tough installing MS Office 2k
>> installs it for you)
>> I have not heard anybody speaking about implementing it on this list
>> (I'm listening here since about a year).
>>
>> Regards
>> Zsolt
>>

> As MSI is an MS redistributable, isn't it perfectly legal for us to
> put a copy of it on our web site? Does this project have a lawyer that
> can give an authorative answer to that question?
>
>            Shachar

To answer my own question - they require that the installer only be
redistributed with an application, that the application add significant
functionality to the redistibutables themselves, and that the
application be only compatible with MS Windows. I guess we can't put it
on our site, though I very much doubt they are allowed to request that
last paragraph. Still, we can direct people to their site and tell them
to D/L it from there, if there are any problems.

            Sh.