strcat+strcat+strcat == baaad"

vkxzjq6lg at cswebmail.com vkxzjq6lg at cswebmail.com
Mon Dec 9 18:24:45 CST 2002

Francois Gouget wrote:

> Of course, that implies that we should promptly fix any such crash.
> Otherwise it just makes Wine unusable without any benefit.

That's the catch. I'm not approaching Wine as a Wine developer. Wine is almost ready for
prime time now and as a non-Wine developer (who's roped in so far only as far as necessary
to get the app I want to run running) I'm approaching it as a near production system.

When only hard core Wine developers were seeing it, opening the debugger made sense.

Wine is leaving the core development stage and now it's time to be arranging for bug
reporting mechanisms which don't require that you be a programmer willing to start
debugging Wine to get your applications running.

That means avoiding a raw debugger window and providing something more end user friendly.
To me that means something like logging every non-dangerous failure possible rather than
killing the application. Then, when the application finishes, winseerver can pop up a
polite window telling the user that there was a problem and asking them to report it to
the developers, making it easy to do that.

It definitely doesn't involve opening debugger windows. Those will scare away the end
users who need to be submitting those logs so the developers can see which app or internal
routine was breaking the rules and what needs to be fixed.

So: Wine's almost there (and congratulations on getting to the point where I can seriously
write that!). Time to be thinking about what end users can handle and changing how garbage
data reporting is handled to make it more friendly to them.

The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!
 250 FREE hours! Sign-on Now!