wineoss/wavemap and i810 sound cards

Eric Pouech eric.pouech at wanadoo.fr
Wed Dec 11 14:32:48 CST 2002

Francois Gouget wrote:

> Here's the problem: apparently i810 sound cards (and the corresponding
> OSS drivers) only accept 48kHz sound in 16 bit stereo. So if an
> application uses winmm to play a sound in any other format, winmm has to
> use the wave mapper to do the conversion to that format.
>
> But msacm refuses to do a conversion to 48kHz sound because that
> sampling rate is not in the 'supported formats' list: see around line
> 870 of 'dlls/msacm/pcmconverter.c'. Hence the attached patch to
> pcmconverter. The changes in wavemap.c are just so that we at least try
> to see if we could convert to that sampling rate.
>
> However, why only support conversion between these specific formats? Why
> not support anything between 100 and 100000Hz for instance? That would
> nicely match the range returned by DirectSound...
>
> Does this patch look ok?
> Should I rewrite it using the above range instead? (Or rather, why
> should I not rewrite it that way?)

msacm should indeed accept any possible conversion rate (I didn't check
if a minimal/maximal range was enforced) (basically, you just need not
to check for a correct rate when trying to accept or reject a given
WAVEFORMATEX)

wavemapper should also support the new (XP ?) official rates of 48kHz
and 96kHz

A+