Wineboot

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Thu Dec 12 10:14:43 CST 2002

On December 12, 2002 11:16 am, Alberto Massari wrote:
> Personally, I would still prefer an external utility, to mimic the case
> when the installer asks you "do you want me to reboot now?" and you say
> "no, I'll do it later". In that case, I don't want to have file renamed,
> etc... until I decide it's time to perform a reboot (by invoking wineboot).
> So, in my opinion, the wine_need_reboot() function you name in that
> pseudo-code should return TRUE only after one of the reboot functions have
> been called (InitiateSystemShutdown, InitiateSystemShutdownEx,
> ExitWindowsEx).

Hmm, that message is a bit out of contest. It _is_ an external utility that
does the reboot (it's the wineboot utility), the problem is when to invoke
it. The reason I proposed to invoke it from the server rather than from the
process is because:
  -- it seems that's the place that's equivalent to rebooting windows
  -- it avoids a bunch of nasty race conditions
  -- it is very simple

So yeah, what you say does not conflict in any way with what I was proposing.
Indeed, the wine_need_reboot() function should behave as you say. In fact, if
we should exit the server of system shutdown for this to work as I see it...

--
Dimi.