wine/ tools/winebuild/winebuild.man.in tools/w ...

Greg Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Thu Dec 12 18:05:31 CST 2002

On Thursday 12 December 2002 10:34 am, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> "Dimitrie O. Paun" <dpaun at rogers.com> writes:
> > Alexandre, mind if you explain in a few words the rationale
> > for this one? Not that I have a problem with it, but I like
> > to know where you're going... :)
>
> This is for import libraries; basically the import libs (actually the
> .def files) need to contain all functions, even the ones we don't
> want to import from ELF libraries, because the same files are used
> for the Windows libraries. So the check is now done at the time we
> import the library, not at the time we generate the import lib.

Wow, it's like a whole new wine now!  This wave of changes seems to be
going over my head a bit, and your explanation doesn't seem to clear
the fog for me... perhaps it's time I read some of the "scary parts" of
the wine source and got a clue about how the wine compile/link/load
sequence actually works?

(I should note that, so far, ignorance of these parts of wine has been
fine for me; presumably, this wave of changes doesn't make such
knowledge any more necessary, but it does pique my curiosity.)

For those of us who still don't "get it," could you provide a bit more
explanation here? (i.e.: "as if to a child" ;) )  By the above, do you
mean, in some sense, that some symbols get resolved at run-time instead
of at compile time?  What are the expected consequences/benefits of
this change?

I'm sure it's all quite evident to you and the other old-timers around
here, so sorry to be slow!  Also, if I'm asking you to write a novel,
just let me know what I need to read up on.  Thanks!!

--
gmt