wavemap: Avoid resampling if possible

Chris Morgan cmorgan at alum.wpi.edu
Sat Dec 14 15:04:02 CST 2002

On Saturday 14 December 2002 02:41 pm, Francois Gouget wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 chrismorgan at rcn.com wrote:
> > There was someone on the jack mailing list that was working on a
> > resampling library.  This would be something we could replace our
> > resampling code with.  More than likely the library would support
> > several resampling algorithms allowing for an appropriate one to be
> > selected based on cpu speed and quality.  I'll mail the jack devel
> > list and see if there is any new status on the progress of the
> > library.
>
> We could, but then it seems the future is that Wine with more often use
> the Jack or aRts drivers than our current wineoss driver. So we will
> automatically benefit from Jack's or aRts resampling capabilities.

I'm kind of hoping arts is replaced with jack as jack is suitable for both
desktop and professional audio users.  The jack developers are reluctant to
put resampling inside of the server, they would rather the client resampled
using a library like the one I suggested.  The intent is to keep the server
simpler.  I'm not sure if they will change their mind when jack is more
widely used for general purpose audio like we are doing with wine.

Chris