Include_winsock_h_before_stdlib_h_or_use_the_MSVCRT_library

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Wed Dec 18 15:09:34 CST 2002

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:

> On December 18, 2002 03:28 am, Francois Gouget wrote:
> >  * if you want maximum compatibility, then use the msvcrt headers. Then
> > you will not have that problem.
>
> To clarify this point: this app (actually library: wxWindows) when compiled
> under MinGW expects stuff in headers that are not present in msvcrt headers
> (such as gethostname()). So, for maximum compatibility, we need to support
> native Unix headers. :)

This seems a bit strange. So you say that on Linux sys/types.h causes
FD_CLR to be defined. That was not the case last time I checked
(admitedly months ago). Maybe it's a new glibc or gcc thing?
(ok, checked, it is the case :-( that's new)

The goal of the FD_CLR check was to 'gracefully' deal with source files
that do:

#include <stdlib.h>
#include <windows.h>

This would cause FD_CLR and more importantly fd_set, timeval and select
to already be defined with incompatible types/prototypes.

So, back to the sys/types.h issue. We apparently very much self-trigger
the same issue with sys/types.h. So I'll move the FD_CLR section and
post a patch.

              Linux: Because rebooting is for adding new hardware