MSVC4, next two buttons on installer

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Dec 22 20:45:06 CST 2002

Eric Pouech wrote:
> so you're stuck with either using native riched20.dll, or doing lots of
> hard work to implement version 1.0 and 2.0

Er, ok, I'll stick with native for now :-)

>> Q2. Any idea what I'd need to do to get a Windows Explorer going
>> without actually installing the real Windows Explorer?-)
>> Does Wine have a builtin Windows Explorer clone yet?
>
> there's a winfile compatible (winefile) in the programs directory, but
> this isn't really an explorer clone. however making it explorer.exe
> compatible (from the command line point of view) shouldn't be too
> difficult. but there are lots of other stuff in there (DDE server for
> example) which will require quite some work too.

Cool.  OK, here's how things stand, then:
With native mfc42.dll, riched20.dll, and wordpad.exe, and
winefile running, I can put the msvc4.0 cd-rom in the drive, mount it,
click on the 'd:' drive icon in winefile, double-click on setup.exe,
and the setup program launches properly; clicking on "Standard Template Library"
properly brings up WordPad (yay!), but with a display problem (see below); clicking
on "Explore the CD" does nothing (because I didn't install native Windows Explorer).

Q3. Although I'm using native riched20 and wordpad, all the section
headers in the stl\Readme.WRI file are screwed up under Wine.  Anyone seen
that problem before, or know how to fix it?  I've uploaded the
file as http://www.kegel.com/readme.wri in case anyone wants to see it.

Q4. Is winefile going to be installed in some standard place?
I'm quite willing to write a tiny, stunted windows\explorer.exe
that's just a wrapper around winefile, but that won't help if
the standard installer isn't yet installing winefile.  Also,
is it a problem that winefile is a winelib application?  Wouldn't
we rather it be a straight Windows application if we're going to
invoke it from inside wine?

Thanks,
Dan

--