Changing FS type reported by Wine

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Wed Dec 25 14:33:56 CST 2002

Derek Broughton wrote:

> Is it a serious problem using the file system type of the root?  This is
> a fairly obscure problem anyway, and if you encountered a problem with a
> specific application you could set up new drive letters for the specific
> file systems you needed.  It's a little kludgey, but I don't see it as
> being incompatible with the intent of Wine - after all, while Wine _can_
> access Unix file systems, and use the features of them, it's providing
> an interface to Windows which _doesn't_ understand the concept of
> different file systems under a single drive.

According to MSDN, "FAT" and "NTFS" are both legitimate return values
for the filesystem name from GetVolumeInformation (though it does not
mention what other possibilities might also be valid). Wine hardcodes
this to always return FAT (or CDROM).

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/fileio/base/getvolumeinformation.asp

Since it is hardcoded, I don't know how you would "set up new drive
letters for the specific file systems you needed." An option in
~/.wine/config, on the otherhand, would make this easy.