Documentation work -task list -man pages

Tom Wickline twickline2 at triad.rr.com
Thu Dec 26 19:39:01 CST 2002

> I think that we should keep the documentation tasks togetther. If its OK
> with Dimi we can just use his page and give him diffs or we can split
> off the documentation section and he can link to it.

I ask Jeff Smith if he would be interested in helping with a task list
page and he
said he would be more than glad to. A broke down list of task would make
things much more easier for would be newbie voilinteers to grasp..
And im sure Dimi would link it in. And this would not clutter his nice
.9 page
And since we are working on this it would make changing the task list
a simple task in its self.. without having to ask dimi to make changes
everytime
somthing changes ... Comments ?

>> If our goal is to " Fix incomplete and/or out of date documentation."
>> Then we should do the Merge as well so everything will be complete.
>

> wine.texinfo is like a man page and it seems to be updated fairly well.
> I don't agree with trying to get rid of it but I am not about to be the
> one to maintain it either.

We could do the merge and let the current maintainers maintain it correct ?
Comments ?

> The wine How-to should be part of wine users. Once it is merged we
> should get rid of it.

OK.. But what about "The Perfect Enduser Wine Debugging Guide"
are we going to do anything with this ? From the front page..
Needs improvement/contributors ! Gets merged into Developers Guide as
soon as layout is rock-solid.

I think we should go ahead and merge it now.. As it does not look as it
will ever become
rock solid. And get rid of it as well ... Comments ?

> I really dont know what to do about
> installation-und-konfiguration.german. I am inclined to leave it for now

Recrute a german speaking person to help with this ??

> Right now we could use someone "New To Wine" to go through the users
> guide one chapter at a time and report to us *anything* they don't
> understand.

I will read over everything starting this monday. anyone else want to
volinteer to read everything and give thoughs on how to improve our
Documentation?
Great for a newbie lurker who wants to help out :))

> Anyone is welcome to point out errors and offer any suggestions to help
> improve the documentation. Of course a patch is even better but if we do
> not know about a problem we can not fix it.

I agree Documentation is absolutly essential to the wine project. The
better the documentation the more usefull the product is. And if we are
seriouse about a future .9 or 1.0 release we should have the Documentation
to back that release up. Wine is still not the easiest program to use..
And when 1.0 comes out and the word spreads
im sure there will be a flood of downloads... And if the Documentation
*SUCKS* for say!! it will only take wind
out of our sail.. So now is the time to really start on this and get
everything in order for 1.0 in 2003 !!!

Intergetic Volinteers wanted .. please apply here........ lotsa fun
guaranteed or your money back....

Tom