Wine Contrib 0.6

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Fri Dec 27 13:27:28 CST 2002

On Fri, 27 Dec 2002, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:

> Folks,
>
> A new version of Wine-Contrib is available at:
>     http://www.dssd.ca/wine/Wine-Contrib-0.6.html
> courtesy of Tom & Tony.

Thanks for the updated page Tom. Here are some comments I should have
sent a sooner.

 * Web site maintenance

   I think we should mention that we are in the process of redoing the
web site and that we really could use some help. Maybe point to (some
of) bugs 597, 598, 600, 601, 605, 607, 608, and especially the
discussions that took place on wine-devel some time ago. Also, it would
probably be better to send offers of assistance to wine-devel.

 * Cross referencing the Windows executables and libraries

   Bug 556 is somewhat related and I have been somewhat working on it
:-) More precisely I think I need to upgrade my script to make it able
to filter APIs that are missing in Wine using the MSDN and/or Sdk
headers and/or Google, and just report those that match all of the
above. Then it's a no brainer to add these. Once these are added,
hopefully the list of missing APIs will be much smaller and it will be
easier to handle them manually.

 * Documentation of the Windows API functions

   I think this would be nice. The main reason is that as MS moves to
new APIs it tends to remove all documentation of the old ones (e.g. Win
3.1). However it is generally felt that this is not a priority and that
actually implementing stuff and fixing bugs is more important; which is
hard to argue against ;-)
   I don't know how to convey all this nicely.

 * Localization work

   Concerning the translation of the main documentation I think we are
not ready for it yet. Currently we barely manage to maintain the English
documentation so adding translations does not seem like a good idea.
Unless the translators 'pledge' to also maintain the English
documentation.

   However, I believe there is still useful localization work that can
be done:
   - translating the README and maintaining the translation
   - translating the Wine resources and messages it issues (but not the
     debug message of course)

   It might also be worth having a sort of 'QuickStart/Howto' document
that would describe the basic instructions for installing and
configuring Wine in a bit more details than the README while being much
smaller than the Wine User Guide (it could actually be a chapter of that
guide). Then that document could be translated in multiple languages
which would at least make it easier for non-english speaking people to
set up and install Wine.

                     Avoid the Gates of Hell - use Linux.