Documentation work -task list -man pages

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Fri Dec 27 23:00:56 CST 2002

On December 26, 2002 05:31 pm, Tony Lambregts wrote:
> I think that we should keep the documentation tasks togetther. If its OK
> with Dimi we can just use his page and give him diffs or we can split
> off the documentation section and he can link to it.

I am more than OK with it, I think it's the way to go. Having the TODO
split in 1000 places defeats the purpose of having a TODO list in the
first place. Moreover, look at the other TODOs: they don't change that
often... :)

> wine.texinfo is like a man page and it seems to be updated fairly well.
> I don't agree with trying to get rid of it but I am not about to be the
> one to maintain it either.

No, it had no serious updates since '98. It's out-of-date, and unmaintained.
It does need to be merged with the docs we have. Alexandre explained this
some time ago. The TODO entry is still valid IMO.

> I really dont know what to do about
> installation-und-konfiguration.german. I am inclined to leave it for now

Yes, it's a tough nut to break. Personally I think translated docs at this
point hinder us a lot more than it helps. Most of our documentation is
out-of-date, translating it just makes the problem worse. But that's just me...

> > #7 and #8 I dont fully understand what needs to be done here.
> > Can you fill me in on what needs to be done with these two ??

Yes, they need merging with the code, or in the documentation, as Tony
already explained.

>  From what I can tell the man pages are the best of the lot.

Yes, Alexandre takes care of those usually, these are the last things
you should worry about. In other words: don't. :)

> Right now we could use someone "New To Wine" to go through the users
> guide one chapter at a time and report to us *anything* they don't
> understand.

That would be a superb test, indeed. But maybe we should first fix the
gaping holes before we subject an unsuspecting individual to the task :)

--
Dimi.