Fwd: Re: Another Potential Slave... I mean Programmer

Hetz Ben Hamo hetz at kde.org
Sat Feb 2 17:08:12 CST 2002

I'll just let the KDE developers answer this, if you don't mind...

Hetz

Subject: Re: Another Potential Slave... I mean Programmer
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 15:52:32 -0600
From: Steve Langasek <vorlon at dodds.net>
To: Joe Tennies <rotund at fatnsoft.com>
Cc: Hetz Ben Hamo <hetz at kde.org>, Laurent Pinchart
<laurent.pinchart at skynet.be>, wine-devel at winehq.com

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 02:14:08PM -0600, Joe Tennies wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-02-02 at 05:42, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> > > I'm not trying to start a Gnome/KDE flame war, but as far as I know,
> > > esd is unmaintained and the Gnome developpers are thinking about
> > > switching to aRtsd. Wouldn't it be more useful to write an aRts driver
> > > ?
> >
> > Actually if I'm not mistaken - GNOME people are moving to gstreamer, if
> > I'm not mistaken. I'm not sure since I work with KDE here...
> >
> > Hetz
>
> Actually, I just looked at gstreamer.  It lies above aRts, esd, alsa,
> and oss.  It is a platform independent (well, not ported to everything
> yet, but working on it) system.  I think KDE SHOULD be heading this way
> and am impressed that GNOME is.  I think that gstreamer would be the way
> to go for WINE.

Layer after layer after layer...

Are there any particular reasons that the authors of gstreamer believe
that all of the existing audio APIs are unacceptable, or is this yet
another case of the NIH syndrome that GNOME and KDE developers seem to
suffer from all too frequently?

And if there are problems with the existing APIs, what reason do we have
to think that gstreamer will get it right?

If people have issues with the existing sound daemons, their time could
almost certainly be better spent working on the implementations /behind/
the APIs instead of creating the sound library du jour.  It seems a
terrible waste of programmer time to try to maintain as many as four
library layers interposed between Wine programs and the audio hardware.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer