Wine license change

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Thu Feb 7 11:39:01 CST 2002

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 09:13:15AM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 03:50:56PM +0100, Andreas Mohr wrote:
> > Seems Slashdot is fast today ;-)
>
> > They already have a thread about the proposed license change running.
>
> > One guy made an interesting suggestion:
> > a "dual license" scheme (like MySQL uses) where you switch to (L)GPL,
> > but certain companies are allowed to take code without contributing
> > everything and their arms and legs back...
>
> If that's the wish of the Wine community (as opposed to the wish of a
> group of armchair quarterbacks on Slashdot who've never written a line of
> published code), then there's no need for a license change at all.  The
> present license allows one to take the Wine code and use/redistribute it
> under the LGPL at any time.
Eh ? How so ? :)

This wouldn't result at all in not having a need to change the license.
Currently everybody can rob the hell out of us (yeah, I know, drastic
words :).
With "selective" licensing, you could make "beneficial" companies benefit.

Anyway, that was only some suggestion of some /. guy, not sure whether
it's a good idea.

Tel. +49 7159 800604                http://home.nexgo.de/andi.mohr/