Wine license change

Marcus Meissner marcus at jet.franken.de
Fri Feb 8 01:03:13 CST 2002

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 05:45:36PM -0500, Roger Fujii wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon at dodds.net> wrote:
> > Under the LGPL, everyone /will/ contribute back, because that's what the
> > LGPL requires.
>
> If you are using marketing speak for "contribute".  GPL requires 1)
> for you to show your work  2) You effectively license your software to
> the FSF.  It doesn't say it has to be in any useful form to be worked
> back into the originating project (if any).

License is not equal Copyright.

You don't automatically sign away your Copyright when switching to the GPL.

> Freedom means allowing people to do things, even things that you don't
> agree with.  BSD = Free.  GPL is not.  Call a spade a spade....

Quoting:
    When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom of use,
    not price.  Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that
    you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge
    for this service if you wish); that you receive source code or can get
    it if you want it; that you can change the software and use pieces of
    it in new free programs; and that you are informed that you can do
    these things.

The problem is not other people doing things with my stuff, the problem
is restricting ME as a developer.

Ciao, Marcus