Wine license change

Patrik Stridvall ps at leissner.se
Fri Feb 8 15:49:50 CST 2002

> I think that this message as well as many other bring up some
> very good
> points as to the needs of licensing within the wine project.
> Many other
> messages have been clearly in the realm of bsd-gpl feudalism.
> I think that trying to find a license to fit the needs of the project
> without first having a good understanding of the needs of the
> project is a
> serious error.

Yes, that is what I have tried to say in my reply to Jeramy.

We must define what we want to license to protect, but more
importantly we must define what the we DON'T want the license
to protect.

Because "What doesn't the license protect?", more popularly known
as "What can we get away with?" is the first question ALL new
business models will ask.

If the answer of that question is "Not Much" it might be very
bad for most business module, but even worse if the answer
to the question is "I don't know, it depends on your intent"
or "I have no idea, the jury is still out" it will be very bad.