Wine, enthusiasts, businesses and the agony of the license

Joerg Mayer jmayer at loplof.de
Sat Feb 9 07:54:42 CST 2002

Fredrik,

very nice writeup. It actually shows where the current discussion has gone
wrong. Finding out the *requirements* first, then comparing them with the
current situation and only as a next to last step decide on a license (be
it an already written license or a completely new one or a modification of
an existing license). The last step would be the license change itself.

On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 11:40:54AM +0100, Fredrik Ohrn wrote:
> Another observation is that companies in group 1 are in direct competition
> with each other, so they want closed source. If TransGaming released their
> DirectX work BSD style, Lindows would quickly be there to appropriate it.

You miss one case here: Companies in group 1 that also want to make money
with group 2s business model. They could do that easily and it would give
them a distinct competitive advantage over the group 2 only type enterprises.
Result: The group 2 only companies *can't* release their sources any more
if they want to stay in business.

  Ciao
        Jörg

--
Joerg Mayer                                          <jmayer at loplof.de>
I found out that "pro" means "instead of" (as in proconsul). Now I know