Dr. Seuss, licensing, and WINE

Plato tom at redant.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Feb 9 04:39:38 CST 2002

On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 03:50:09AM -0500, David Elliott wrote:
> On 2002.02.08 15:03 Brett Glass wrote:

[...]
> >taxes: It will act in its own interest, not yours. The FSF's
> >sole goal is to destroy commercial software developers, and
[...]
> Give me a break dude.  Yes, the FSF wants all software to be free and
> wants to rid the world of commercial software altogether.
[...]

I think it is worth pointing out the the Free Software Foundation does *not*
want to rid the world of commercial software.

Stallman has, however, stated that he would like to rid the world of
*proprietary* software.

There is an incredibly important difference.  Please do not use the terms
interchangably.  See

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Commercial
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/software-libre-commercial-viability.html

for more information.