Wine, enthusiasts, businesses and the agony of the license

Steve Langasek vorlon at dodds.net
Sat Feb 9 13:44:46 CST 2002

On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 10:48:46AM -0800, vinn wrote:

> Second, the LGPL doesn't state how the modifications have to be released.
> In practice this is done electronically via patch files or access to a
> modified tree.  But there's no reason why the modifications couldn't be
> released on handwritten post-it notes available by request only.  In
> this manner there is a non-trivial amount of work required to integrate
> the changes.

Yes there is.  The LGPL is very specific in stating that all modifications
MUST be published (not just upon request).  Also, source code must be the
preferred form for making modifications to a work -- anyone trying to
publish their changes on a set of post-its (which I think you'll agree is
a deliberate attempt to circumvent the LGPL) is likely to find themselves
on the losing end of a lawsuit.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer