Dr. Seuss, licensing, and WINE

David Elliott dfe at tgwbd.org
Sat Feb 9 15:28:14 CST 2002

On 2002.02.09 05:32 Plato wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 03:50:09AM -0500, David Elliott wrote:
> > On 2002.02.08 15:03 Brett Glass wrote:
>
> [...]
> > >taxes: It will act in its own interest, not yours. The FSF's
> > >sole goal is to destroy commercial software developers, and
> [...]
> > Give me a break dude.  Yes, the FSF wants all software to be free and
> > wants to rid the world of commercial software altogether.
> [...]
>
> I think it is worth pointing out the the Free Software Foundation does
> *not*
> want to rid the world of commercial software.
>
> Stallman has, however, stated that he would like to rid the world of
> *proprietary* software.

Whoops, sorry, you are correct about that.  However to the person I was
replying to commercial==proprietary.

Red Hat Linux is a commercial product, but not proprietary (to give an
example).  Though I think Red Hat does have a few proprietary products
they work on.

> There is an incredibly important difference.  Please do not use the terms
> interchangably.  See
>
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Commercial
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/software-libre-commercial-viability.html

Been there long ago.. just kinda forgot.

-Dave