Wine license change

Fredrik Ohrn ohrn at chl.chalmers.se
Sat Feb 9 15:29:49 CST 2002

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, Brett Glass wrote:

> At 08:11 AM 2/9/2002, J.Brown (Ender/Amigo) wrote:
>
> >John Carmack made an intresting point, he releases ID softwares older
> >releases under the GPL. Why? Because after originally releasing an engine
> >after a BSD-esque license, a project done some very major work to the
> >engine...  and then lost it in a harddrive crash. So his -main- reason for
> >using the GPL is to prevent work done in the community from being lost.
>
> He really should take the time to back up his drives. ;-) But, assuming
> that he wishes to use this rather unusual backup mechanism, why would the
> GPL be any better at this than a BSD-style license?

You are a troll, right? That arrived thru that Slashdot posting, right?

I'm not going to lower myself to stating the obvious.

> >There are of course other points. The LGPL is the GPL without the
> >restrictions which prevent useful commercial use.
>
> Alas, this is not true. The latest version of the LGPL -- which
> RMS dubs the "Lesser GPL" -- imposes many restrictions which
> make commercial use difficult if not impossible. For example, it
> requires that software including the library be provided not
> just as a finished product but as a series of object files which
> can be lined with a newer version of the library. Not only is
> this a maintenance and logistics nightmare; because it exposes
> the symbol tables, it makes reverse engineering of the code
> trivial. This is by design.

Finally, come back here and apologise for your trolling and FUDing.

/Fredrik

--
   "It is easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of computers by
   the sense of accomplishment you get from getting them to work at all."

Fredrik Öhrn                               Chalmers University of Technology
ohrn at chl.chalmers.se                                                  Sweden