Time for a Fork

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sat Feb 9 19:42:55 CST 2002

It seems clear to me that Wine is just like Unix:
some people prefer a BSD license, and others prefer a GPL license.

BSD can never convince Linux people to switch licenses, and vice versa.

So be it.

Rather than endlessly debate the issues, I suggest we simply agree
on an amicable parting of ways.

The current cvs tree and patch mailing lists would remain as is.

A new LGPL-licensed tree and associated wine-lgpl-patches mailing list
would be created to accept LGPL-licensed patches.

This would put an end to a lot of bickering, and would let us
see how the two license agreements work out in practice.

Comments?
- Dan