Wine license change

Brett Glass brett at lariat.org
Sun Feb 10 00:54:58 CST 2002

At 11:18 PM 2/9/2002, Steve Langasek wrote:

>But no one really gives a hoot what commercial programmers such as
>yourself do.

I beg to differ. WINE exists in the first place because of what
a particularly unscrupulous group of commercial programmers -- i.e.
Microsoft -- have done. If you'd like to see Microsoft's dominance
fall by the wayside, you will not adopt licenses whose purpose is
to hurt the more ethical commercial programmers who are attempting
to compete with Microsoft.

>Your belief that LGPLed software contains cooties is your problem,
>not ours.

Pooh-poohing or ignoring the issues won't make them go away. The
fact is that both the GPL and the LGPL were written for the express
purpose of destroying commercial software vendors and hurting ALL
programmers' livelihoods.

>Incidentally, your arguments about proprietary vs. commercial software
>would be more compelling if you were capable of keeping the difference
>between the LGPL and the GPL straight for more than 5 minutes at a time.

I know the difference very well. The dangers posed by reading the code
are the same for both licenses.

--Brett Glass