Dr. Seuss, licensing, and WINE

Roger Fujii rmf at lookhere.com
Sun Feb 10 08:55:12 CST 2002

David Elliott <dfe at tgwbd.org> wrote:

> And for most free software projects I  think it is morally defendable to
> prevent people from even linking to them or using them in any proprietary
> software.

So, you're saying that GPLed software could not be distributed running
under windows, macos, UNIX(TM)....  Nice to know that you think linux
is right for everyone.

> The very nature of moving to a license like the LGPL means it will be
> complex.  This doesn't mean it has to be incomprehensible (and it isn't)
> it just means it'll be complex.

complex isn't the right word here.  The problem is that it is UNCLEAR
in certain places.  I challenge anyone to show me what "work that uses the
library",  "work based on the library", and "whole" means in the context
of wine.

> If you take the average software company, more likely it'll be spent on a
> private jet for the CEO.

your "average" company must be considerably larger than any of the companies
I worked with....

-r