OT: Wine build system tech info

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Wed Feb 13 22:41:39 CST 2002

David Elliott <dfe at tgwbd.org> writes:

> On 2002.02.13 04:47 Vassilis Virvilis wrote:
> > ii) Speed.
> >         a) Files has to be parsed twice during
> > compilation.
>
> Of course.  With any dependency system you are going to have to parse
> all of the source files to generate the dependencies and then actually
> compile them.  What is the problem?  By compilation I assume you mean
> the build of the whole project, not the compilation of one individual
> source file.

Actually an advantage of a makedep tool is that you generate all the
dependencies for a directory in one step. This means that you only
need to parse each include file once, even if it is included from
multiple .c files. This can easily be an order of magnitude faster
than preprocessing each file individually (though with recent gccs you
can use gcc -MD to generate dependencies while compiling the file,
which is even more efficient; sadly it's not portable).

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com