Clarification on my call for license change

Patrik Stridvall ps at leissner.se
Fri Feb 15 09:36:11 CST 2002

> > >Several people have asked me to clarify my original post.
> > I just don't understand one thing:
> > How does your company expect to make money once WINE is
> xGPLed? If all your
> > code has to be contributed back, why should I buy it from
> your company?
>
> Hi,
>
> Companies will pay because they want certain functionality to
> be implemented
> that isn't there.  For example, let's say you are company
> Foo, who wants
> their product "FooBar for Windows 2000" to work in Linux using WINE.
> It makes use of some COM related functionality not currently in WINE
> (like Out-of-proc objects or something)  What do you do?
> I mean, you can't just post on wine-devl and say "hey guys,
> stop making
> patches for DirectX, we want you to fix this COM stuff and NOW!"
> No way.  Do you get your internal staff to do it? Maybe.  However,
> most likely none of them know anything about WINE, so there is a big
> ramp up time.  Or do you hire an outside company to help you out,
> a WINE developer-for-hire so to speak.  That's why companies like
> Macadamian and CodeWeavers get hired by clients, to get functionality
> into WINE that would otherwise not get done.  It allows the
> client to focus
> the fixes in the areas they need for their particular
> application.

Congratulations, you have just explained is why specialized consultants
can make a living in the Wine market. However since this with a similar
explaination is true in almost any market, I can't say I'm impressed.

Sorry. That was perhaps a little rude. I was trying to illustrate a
principle not insult you. It was not really aimed at you.

> Sure, these
> changes (optionally for BSD license, "required" for GPL) are
> made available to
> competitors, but as far back as I remember and for a while
> yet I imagine
> any moderately complex app will always require some fixes to
> WINE to get
> it to work perfectly.

Yes, but sometimes this is what your client wants, sometimes it is not.
Sometimes that client doesn't understand what is good for him and
then you have the choice of explaining why or keeping you mouth shut.
Your choice, sometimes this is better for you, sometimes it is not.

Note however, what is good for you is not nessarily the same thing
that is good for your client. Longterm that is. Short term the client
pays you for your work regardless.