Wineconf attendance

Michael Robertson michael at lindows.com
Thu Feb 14 19:35:31 CST 2002

>The LPBN has indicated they'd be willing and able to
>videotape the presentations for later free access
>via their web streaming server (http://www.lpbn.org).
>Michael, could Lindows make a small donation, say $500,
>to lpbn.org to help cover expenses?

At MP3.com, we broadcast the MP3 Summit for free in real-time and made
available browsing at later time as well. We started this in the dark ages
of 1999 and did it every year. Of course we had hundreds of employees and a
whole video department on staff which made it easy. Our whole goal was to
get the information out to everyone because that's what maximizes the value
to the community. See last years video here:
         http://www.mp3.com/summit/2001/webcast.html
As you can see from the agenda and sessions, by year 3 there was incredibly
diverse attention from many industries all around MP3 and I think helped
push it to its widespread support today.

If you want to watch some GREAT video looking back at the digital music
revolution, watch this session:
         What Happened to the Revolution?
It's 45 minutes of very funny, but very insightful video especially the
last 20 minutes.

Doing the same thing for wineconf 2002 would have tremendous value. Those
that can't make wineconf in person can still hear from all the smart people
and get the vision for where wine is going. I'm sure some of the sessions
would be insightful for people as they join wine to help them get up to
speed on various programming and technology issues as well.

Having LPBN.org capture the video and broadcast seems like a a big plus to
the entire wine community. We'll be happy to send them $500 to make this
happen. But watching a tiny grainy video won't compare to being there, so
if you can make it you'll definitely want to attend in person. We'll also
be having one surprise field trip which will not be televised. :)

-- MR

Lindows.com
michael at lindows.com
858-410-5941

Bring choice to computers: Become a Lindows.com Insider
http://www.lindows.com/signup