BSD, Gav, LGPL, Jeremy, and business

Brett Glass brett at lariat.org
Fri Feb 15 14:57:21 CST 2002

At 01:29 PM 2/15/2002, Patrik Stridvall wrote:

>Somehow you seem to believe that all reasonable business models
>will strictly following DLL boundaries, but you have given.
>absolutely no proof of this, you just assume it.
>
>Face it the design of the Windows API are a terrible mess that
>doesn't follow DLL boundaries.

Patrik:

Very true. In fact, Microsoft has intentionally scattered functions
among DLLs in an illogical fashion so it can make the deceptive
argument, in court, that add-ons like Internet Explorer are
inseparable from Windows. They want to be able to say, "See, Your
Honor? I removed this MSIE DLL from Windows, and now the system
won't boot! That's proof that the two are one product."

--Brett