BSD, Gav, LGPL, Jeremy, and business

Patrik Stridvall ps at leissner.se
Sat Feb 16 03:38:22 CST 2002

> At 02:19 AM 2/16/2002, Patrik Stridvall wrote:
>
> >> So now you've made your point, constantly, how about we just
> >> take it for
> >> granted that for every email sent to the list saying 'the
> gpl is good
> >> because...' you and Patrik will reply with 'No! It's evil,
> >> RMS is satan,
> >> viral licensing, noone will use it, blah blah blah'....
> >
> >I have never said that.
> >I do admit that Brett Glass have said that.
>
> No, I never have.

You haven't? OK, perhaps not word by word, but I fully
understand if people interpret your position that way.

I'm sorry if I sound a little angry but it seems that some
of people have found me guilty by association with you
and that irritates me quite a bit.

What you are doing IMHO is pure fear mongering,
it will not help the case against LGPL.

I firmly believe that the GPL and the LGPL has
a place in the world. However that place is
not in Wine project.

The LGPL is IMHO for libraries that are pure
libraries and have all functions implemented.

Wine fullfills neither the pure criteria nor
the have all functions implemented criteria.

In such cases this allows bugfixes to go back,
but new functions can be put in the application
or in a new library not nessarily in the
library itself that have to be under the LGPL.

Then companies can choose for themselves whether
they want the LGPL protection for their new
functions or not.