Clarification on my call for license change

Gerhard W. Gruber sparhawk at gmx.at
Fri Feb 15 16:14:24 CST 2002

Daniel Walker wrote:

>         Wine is a _re_implementation .. 90% of the code we write is double
> work, triple work sometimes .. It doesn't bother me that we had to
> rewrite something, since after all that is what we do.. Wouldn't we have
> it easy is Microsoft would just release their source? The real question
> is, if Wine was GPL'd would TransGaming have written the DCOM code in
> the first place?

That depends on the calculation of TransGaming what they could do with
it. If they just coded it to have it, probably not. If other things are
depending on it which brings money probably yes. If they had someone who
has paid for it, then most surely yes. Of course still the question
arises wether they choose to release it or not under any given szenario.
:)