wine and debian - what's up?

Steve Langasek vorlon at debian.org
Sat Feb 16 13:00:24 CST 2002

On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 10:46:18AM -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:
> http://lwn.net/daily/woody-release.php3 says
> > From:    Anthony Towns <aj at azure.humbug.org.au>
> > To:      debian-devel-announce at lists.debian.org
> > Subject: [2002-02-16] Release Status Update
> > Date:    Sat, 16 Feb 2002 12:23:18 +1000

> > Hi guys,

> > The good news, and the bad news.

> > The good news is that base is back in good shape. glibc, base-passwd and
> > rsync have all had their RC bugs fixed which is very pleasing. ...

> > The bad news is that this means we're probably releasing soon, and that of
> > the hundreds of less important packages with RC bugs (eg, bugzilla, craft,
> > crossfire-{client,server}, epic4, fvwm95, gmc, gnome-admin, intuitively,
> > kdepim, moon-lander, tkdesk, wine, and xosview) will be getting randomly
> > ripped out of testing (in the case where bugs apply to the version in
> > testing, anyway). What this means, is that if packages you're interested
> > in have accumulated RC bugs (ie serious, grave or critical) you've almost
> > run out of time to get them fixed if you want them released.

> What bugs are they talking about with wine?

> I only saw one marked as grave:
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=133540&repeatmerged=yes

This is the only one that is an issue for the Debian release.  I imagine
that aj didn't do a whole lot of research on the particular RC bugs used
in his example, he just needed some good examples of packages with RC
bugs. :)  Judging from reactions in the Bug-Squashing Party currently
going on, the bug in question will probably be downgraded or reassigned,
depending on whether any further information is forthcoming from the
submitter.

> but this one looks worth responding to, too:
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=98661&repeatmerged=yes

Hmmm. That's an interesting one. :)

> It might be good for wine developers who like debian to have a look at
> the debian bug tracking system.  The main problem appears to be being
> addressed, but a little overkill never hurt.

I'm sure no one will complain at seeing more bugs fixed...

Cheers,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer