Clarification on my call for license change

Gerhard W. Gruber sparhawk at gmx.at
Sat Feb 16 14:53:23 CST 2002

Patrik Stridvall wrote:

> The point is:
> - The 100+ seat company gains.  (They get support).
> - Red Hat gains. (They get money).
> - I gain. (I get money).
> - But CodeWeavers, that did a lot of work on Wine,
>   doesn't gain anything and they are becaused of the LGPL
>   been forced to release all of their work.
>
> Sure they might gain back a few bug fixes if I had to
> do in order to fix a few small flaws, but then Red Hat
> probably would have let me release it anyway.

A few bug fixes? If it is important enough that such a big customer pays
Red Hat for developing something then I guess that it is not only a few
bug fixes we are talking about here. And that is to the advantage of
CodeWeaver then because they gain also fucntionallity they might have
needed to develop themself.