Clarification on my call for license change

Sean Farley scf at farley.org
Sun Feb 17 01:50:48 CST 2002

On Sat, 16 Feb 2002 12:06, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, Marcus Meissner wrote:
>
> > And especially:
> > http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=de&selm=1szq0fy8sm.fsf_-_%40lrcsuns.epfl.ch
>
> OK,
>
> What about this:
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Ingo+Molnar+group:comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine+group:comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine&hl=en&selm=67ue48%24ajm%241%40palladium.transmeta.com&rnum=3

Linus's quote was quite interesting:

    I don't personally contribute - partly because of the same worries
    that Ingo Molnar brought up some time ago, ie the copyright.  It's
    not that I dislike the wine copyright - I actually think that the
    BSD-style copyrights can be a good thing.  But _personally_ I don't
    want to do significant work under that kind of copyright and having
    to wonder whether the best version of Wine will be free in the
    future..

That was almost the same as Brett's message concerning working on Wine
if it was xGPL'd.

> or this:
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Ingo+Molnar+group:comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine+group:comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine&hl=en&selm=349af265.0%40news.ic.sunysb.edu&rnum=9

This made me wonder about what happened to TWIN.  I noticed they faded
away.  If anyone thinks xGPL'ing WINE will bring more support, they
should look at TWIN.  I am not saying the license killed it, but I am
saying that the LGPL did not bring it any support.

Sean
scf at farley.org