Notepad2. Command line processing

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Feb 19 23:28:46 CST 2002

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 lawson_whitney at juno.com wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Andriy Palamarchuk wrote:
>
> > I *think* this patch does not depend on my previous
> > patch.
> >
> > Changelog:
> > - implemented parsing of file name, passed in command
> > line, loading new file on startup. This fixes bug 407
> >
> Did you notice in testing this patch that notepad can not save a file?
> Never mind bug 407, that is the Real Bug that renders notepad
> unusable.  :-).  I guess this is not an urgent bug, I can use joe, jed,
> vi (elvis, vim) or emacs if I need to change a file.

   Hey, I'm quite happy that he fixed bug 407 (ok, maybe it's because I
entered the bug :-).

   But it's true that notepad seems quite broken at the moment:

 * if I pass a filename on the command line notepad crashes on
startup... but not always.
 * selecting a section of text with the mouse does not work
 * selecting with shift+arrow keys does not work
 * backspace works but not del
 * notepad always believes I have modified the file
 * the dialog telling me that the file was modified contains a random
character after the question mark:
   Would you like to save the changes ? u
 * search does not work
 * etc.

   I have been told that the problem is that notepad should use an edit
control instead of trying to do everything itself. Also it has never
been tested on Windows and has probably been broken by various 'fixes'.
Maybe I should enter a new bug report? Unfortunately I don't have time
to go in and look at it myself.

                           La terre est une bêta...