X11DRV_DIB_[Get/Set]ImageBits in 1, 4 and 8 bit X modes.

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Thu Feb 21 19:30:09 CST 2002

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Mike Utke wrote:

> David Hammerton wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm presently modifying the X11DRV dibsection code for slight speed
> > improvements using shared memory pixmaps and the like. Im into the "clean up
> > and make it work on all systems" stage of thing, and I have a question.
> > Do people ever worry about what happens if the user is running in a 1, 4 or 8
> > bit X mode? This has some wacky code, which I am unable to test on my machine
> > (or any machine around).. So i'm implementing what I think _should_ do the
> > trick - but I have no idea if it will work..
> >
> > Is it a big issue?
> > Any suggestions to the problem?
>
> I recalled François Gouget's VNC work from October and found the message
> where he described how to use it to test various combinations:
> http://www.winehq.com/hypermail/wine-devel/2001/10/0278.html
>
> I'm now saying that this will work in 1, 4 or 8 bit configurations, but
> it's worth a try.  It might also be worthwhile to make sure your code
> works with several '-pixelformat's to test compatibility.

   You can use VNC to test 8bpp true-color modes, but I think David
Hammerton had 'palettized' modes in mind. In that case, the only
solution I can see is to run the VGA XFree driver. It's not as practical
but is the only solution I know of. Pretty much all graphics cards
should be able to use it as all it requires is VGA support.

The nice thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing quite respectable
                                  -- Paul Dean