Bootprocedure again

David Elliott dfe at tgwbd.org
Sat Feb 23 21:18:29 CST 2002

On 2002.02.22 08:08 Gerhard W. Gruber wrote:
[SNIP]
> That's more my way. :) I want an application that has maximum
> configurability while being as less as intrusive as needed. That's what
> I like about Unix and I don't want to introduce Windows behaviour into
> the Unix world. :)
>
> I'll see where the best place is and implement it that way.

To really follow the UNIX philosophy you want to put it in a seperate
application.  Save yourself a lot of trouble trying to figure out where to
place a hook in wine and simply write it into a completely seperate
program.  You can then have wine actually run that program with a
CreateProcess call or similar at whatever point.  The code to do this
should NOT be in the wine emulators source code itself, nor do I believe
it should be linked in with it.

Windows itself (win9x/me at least) actually has this code in WININIT.EXE
which is loaded early on in the boot process.  It is not necessary or even
desirable to have the code in the emulator itself.  It is much more
desirable to have it be a completely seperate program.  Leave it to the
distributors of Wine to implement the actual policy and only provide the
mechanism.  This is what Alexandre has been saying, and I am saying the
same thing.  Policy decisions do not belong in Wine, even as configuration
options when it can be helped.  If you feel you absolutely MUST have this
run every time a wine program is started or every time a wine program
finishes (maybe this would be better) then write a shellscript like so:

#!/bin/sh
wine "$@"
wine_movefiles

This is so simple, why would you even waste your time trying to hack it
into the boot code for wine?

-Dave