Menu Item problem(was Notepad not remaining language selection)

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Feb 26 11:55:25 CST 2002

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Andriy Palamarchuk wrote:
[...]
> Then, what is the correct approach will be? Set the
> default language based on system settings?
> We can leave the language menu for now for testing
> purposes.

   I guess this depends on whether you see Wine's notepad as:
1. a test program, primarily used by Wine developpers to test Wine
2. strictly a replacement for the Windows applet

   If 1 then the menu can stay. But it could even set the system-wide
notion of which language is used. If 2, then it is not necessary and
should probably disappear.

   Notepad is an application that is used so often that we need
something to fill the role of 2. 1 and 2 need not be completely
incompatible either. But I would personally lean more towards 2, and a
removal of the menu. It seems to me that testing various languages would
be better done by setting LANG, and even better, by writing test units.

The nice thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing quite respectable
                                  -- Paul Dean