We *really* need a development model change !

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Tue Jan 1 14:12:33 CST 2002

>In fact here's a 10-minute hack to add a make test target. With that
>all you have to do is create a test script in dlls/xxx/tests/foo.test,
>put the expected output in tests/foo.test.ref (presumably generated by
>running the test under Windows), add your script to the makefile and
>run make test.

I've started playing with this, Alexandre, and I had a thought/question:
why not put the tests under 'wine/tests'?  I recognize the benefit
of having a test immediately associated with the implementation.
But, I would argue
          a)  that not all tests are going to be specific to one dll
          b)  by placing all the tests together, you make exporting
                a 'test' package to Windows simpler.
          c)  You centralize the info and allow for good doco
          d)  We can create and sustain a whole Windows make
                file hierarchy, which would be useful to a test
                writer in Windows.

(And yes, I ask because I am threatening to actually do some of the work;
of course, I'll run out of time shortly, and it will be an empty
threat...<g>).

Thoughts?

Jer