We *really* need a development model change !

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Tue Jan 1 16:28:34 CST 2002

Jeremy White <jwhite at codeweavers.com> writes:

> Ideally, we would have a 'winetest.zip' such that all I would
> have to do is install Perl, and then I'd have a nice set of
> sample test scripts I could run/modify/tweak to my hearts
> satisfaction.

Exactly, yes. If possible winetest.zip should also include perl.dll
and the needed packages so that you don't even need to install perl at
all. I think it may be a good idea to have a winetest.zip that
contains winetest.exe and related files that you only have to install
once, and another zip that contains the test themselves which you may
need to upgrade more frequently (or that you could get directly from
CVS if you have a CVS client on Windows).

> Hmm.  What if I had a 'make export-tests' that created a template
> 'winetest.zip' file.  Then I've just got to get a Windows
> winetest.exe file built and repackage the 'winetest.zip' file.  So,
> if we had *one* Windows machine with a full Cygwin/CVS/gmake
> toolchain, it could periodically build new 'winetest.zip' files and
> publish them as a separate download at winehq.com.
>
> What do you think?  If I extended your patch to add an export-tests
> target, would this be useful?

Sure, but I don't think a makefile target is the best way to do it. It
would be better to simply have a script that could be run on WineHQ
every night to rebuild the zip directly from CVS.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com