We *really* need a development model change !

Andriy Palamarchuk apa3a at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 2 16:13:24 CST 2002

The final attempt to solicit feedback for my
suggestion to use existing testing framework.

Want to bring to your attention testing framework
Test::Simple. I think you'll like this one the most
because it implements exactly the ideas you suggested
earlier, plus some more.

You can play with the examples unpacking file
winetest.tar.gz to the existing winetest application
directory.

1) look at file test1.pl. It implements exactly the
functionality of existing test.pl module with using
Test::Simple framework. The only change I made are
descriptive error messages for the first few tests.

Output of test1.pl:
ok 1 - Valid atom handle
ok 2 - No error code defined
ok 3
ok 4 - Succeed code
ok 5 - Atom name
ok 6
ok 7
ok 8
ok 9
ok 10
ok 11
ok 12
ok 13
ok 14
ok 15
1..15

The basic usage is not more difficult than one you
suggested, right?

2) test2.pl - very simple test script. Demonstrates
TODO tests functionality. These are tests which are
known to fail - you are notified if any of these
succeeds by miracle. You'll see following output if
you run the test:

1..4
ok 1 - Success
not ok 2
#     Failed test (test2.pl at line 8)
not ok 3 # TODO Example of using TODO tests
#     Failed (TODO) test (test2.pl at line 12)
ok 4 - Example of successfull TODO test # TODO Example
of using TODO tests
# Looks like you failed 1 tests of 4.

3) Things become even more interesting when
Test::Simple is used with module Test::Harness.
Test::Harness allows to run many tests at once and
consolidate results of these tests.
test_all.pl uses the module to run all the tests
(currently test2.pl only). The output of the script:

test2.p.............#     Failed test (test2.pl at
line 8)
# Looks like you failed 1 tests of 4.
dubious
	Test returned status 1 (wstat 256, 0x100)
DIED. FAILED tests 2-3
	Failed 2/4 tests, 50.00% okay
Failed Test  Status Wstat Total Fail  Failed  List of
failed
test2.pl          1   256     4    2  50.00%  2-3
Failed 1/1 test scripts, 0.00% okay. 2/4 subtests
failed, 50.00% okay.

4) the framework has other nice features, like
skipping tests. Useful in choosing platform-specific
tests, gui vs cli, etc.

Is this functionality sufficient for winetest?

However I found a few issues with winetest:
1) For some reason running test_all.pl with winetest
gives compilation error. I saw the same compilation
error when I tried to use other Perl testing framework
Test::Unit.
2) Compilation failure when I try to run test1.pl
directly with Perl, like "perl test1.pl"

Look forward for your answer.

Andriy Palamarchuk