We *really* need a development model change !

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Thu Jan 3 12:42:01 CST 2002

On 3 Jan 2002, Alexandre Julliard wrote:

> Andriy Palamarchuk <apa3a at yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > Always succeed *under Windows*. Do you really, really,
> > really think all the tests will succeed under Wine
> > from day 1 and we will be able to maintain them
> > failure-free?
>
> Absolutely. There's a very simple way of enforcing that: I'm not
> comitting anything that causes make test to fail.
>
> > The value of unit tests is exactly in failures! The
> > more failures of unit tests we have - the better test
> > developers do their work.
>
> Well, I guess it's a philosophical point, but for me the value of the
> tests is for regression testing. If you allow the tests to fail you'll
> pretty soon have 90% of the tests fail somewhere, and this is
> completely useless except maybe as a list of things we still have to
> do. While if the tests usually succeed, as soon as something fails you
> know there's a regression and you have to fix it.

   This is why the notion of 'TODO tests' or known differences (my
'.ref.diff') is useful. This way when writing a test you don't have to
restrict yourself to just what works at a given point in Wine, and
still, the tests don't fail. But as soon as something changes in the
failure mode, or even stops failing, then you know it.

   Nouvelle version : les anciens bogues ont été remplacés par de nouveaux.