We *really* need a development model change !

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Jan 3 12:59:37 CST 2002

Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> > Do you really, really,
> > really think all the tests will succeed under Wine
> > from day 1 and we will be able to maintain them
> > failure-free?
>
> Absolutely. There's a very simple way of enforcing that: I'm not
> comitting anything that causes make test to fail.

That's great to hear, but I think you have to modify your statement a
bit -- you may want to commit new tests don't yet pass,
if they show a real flaw in Wine.

That means you probably want to live with less than 100%  success rates.
The important thing when committing a new change to Wine
(as opposed to a change to the test suite) is that it not
cause any *new* failures.  I bet that's what you meant.

I'm so jazzed by the new emphasis on regression testing.
There were sparks of it in previous years
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=38CE7B2D.77204824%40alumni.caltech.edu
but it didn't catch on for some reason.

Francios, are your tests (from http://fgouget.free.fr/wine/booktesting-en.shtml)
part of this framework yet?